since 1892, Creating Peace of Mind
Since its founding in1892, Johns Brothers has provided crucial services to the Hampton Roads area population.
Johns Brothers was established as a coal and slab wood dealer in 1892 by Stuart and Kensey Johns. In 1918 Vincent Thomas, with two partners, purchased the company from its founders. In its early days Johns Brothers received anthracite coal by water, barged here from Philadelphia and Baltimore, towed through the Atlantic City bridge which linked Front and York Streets, and unloaded at the Johns Brothers yard on the Hague in downtown Norfolk.
Since its founding in1892, Johns Brothers has provided crucial services to the Hampton Roads area population. The Company and its principals have been closely involved in the development and redevelopment of Norfolk, its Downtown, and its surrounding jurisdictions. In length of continuous service, the Company is now one of the oldest in the area.
The Thomas family oversaw the company until its purchase in 1996 by Dwight C. Schaubach. Under the ownership of Mr. Schaubach, Johns Brothers has not only continued to provide its core services in fuel oil, heating and air conditioning and security, it has grown spectacularly.
Johns Brothers Security, established in 1974, has used continuing education and training of its staff plus constant reinvestment in equipment and technology to stay at the leading edge of the industry. Johns Brothers Security is now the largest privately-owned and operated security company in the Commonwealth of Virginia and northeastern North Carolina.